Which Fork Do I Use?
2015 Independent Publishers Book Award
Silver Medalist Winner
National Home and Garden Category
About Independent Publisher’s IPPY Awards
Independent Publisher’s (IPPY) Awards, launched in 1996, are designed to bring increased recognition to the deserving but often unsung titles published by independent authors and publishers. Established as the first awards program open exclusively to independents, over 3,000 IPPYs have been awarded to authors and publishers around the world.
The 2015 IPPY medalists represent 45 U.S. states plus the District of Columbia, six Canadian provinces, and ten countries overseas: Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, South Africa, Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Spain, and the United Kingdom. (See the 2015 complete listing.)
In 2015 over 2,750 independent authors and publishers participated in the 19th annual Independent Publisher Book Awards contest.
Every book entered gets evaluated in each of these areas, and if they score well are assessed further and judged against the other top books in the category.
- First Impression – front, back and inside – would you pull it from the bookstore or library shelf?
- Design – Cover design, typeface, message, front and back – does the cover make you want to look inside? Interior layout, typeface, illustrations – is it easy to read; is it a pleasure to look at?
- Originality – is it a fresh approach? Has it been done too much?
- Use of language – Grammar style, voice – does it flow? Does it make you want to keep reading?
- Message delivery – is the message promised by the cover being delivered, and in a compelling way?
- Relevance – is the book pertinent to our time? Is this a message that should be heard?